BREAKING: Court Orders Release Of Protesting IPOB Women, Strikes – MainNews.Blog


A Magistrate Court in Owere, Imo State, has ordered the release of over 100 women detained after a protest demanding the release of Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB.

The women were arrested on August 18 and detained following allegations of alleged treason and unlawful assembly among other offences.

There have been campaigns and demands for their release, especially on social media. Global rights group, Amnesty International, on Friday condemned the detention of the women protesters describing it as a violation of their rights.

In an interview on Friday, the lawyer representing the women, Sam Amadi, confirmed their release, saying they were let off following a directive of the Imo State director of public prosecution.

“Yes, they have been released. The DPP gave a directive for the case against them to be struck out, earlier today and we took it to the magistrate, along with the detained women. The court ordered the immediate release of the women. All them who came to the court were released from there.

“Only about 12 of them who were not in this prison are expected to be released from the Okigwe prison where they are held. The case has also been struck out,” Mr Amadi said.

Earlier on Friday, the Takeitback Movement spearheaded by Omoyele Sowore, a presidential aspirant of African Action Congress (AAC), demanded the release of the women.

“We strongly protest the unjust detention of over 100 Nigerian women in Owerri, Imo State, and are outraged at the biased treatment of Nigerians in their own country,” the movement said in a statement by its Director of Media and Communication, Rachel Onamusi-Kpiasi.

“Nigerians are slaughtered mercilessly at an increasingly disturbing frequency by herdsmen and the present government neither speaks nor acts. There have been zero arrests of the perpetrators and no compensation for the surviving victims. Boko Haram has decimated the North with scant retribution save for the present government swelling their coffers in ransom money.

“But women – our mothers, wives and sisters – who carried out a peaceful protest and caused neither harm nor disturbance to civic peace are quickly rounded up like cattle.”

The group said the government’s disregard for human rights of citizens is a disrespect for human life.

“The government’s disregard of the fundamental human rights of her citizens, as well as the reports of starvation of the arrested women since their incarceration points to a disrespect for human life and well-being. Carrying IPOB memorabilia can never be sufficient justification for this gross miscarriage of justice.

“The TakeitBack Movement fundamentally believes that all Nigerians have a right to peaceful protests. We also believe that raising questions about the restructuring of Nigeria is an inalienable right.

”Again, we ask, where is the justice? While men, who have maimed and killed hundreds walk around free and unfettered, our mothers from the South-east are in prison for raising a flag. We demand the immediate release of these women,” the group said.

Advertisements

In Osun FSARS officer kills young man, mob burns down police station


An officer of the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad (FSARS) has killed a young man in Iwo, Osun State on Thursday, August 23, 2018.

Victim who was allegedly killed by FSARS officer(Pulse)

According to a Pulse Eyewitness, the victim, identified as Babatunde Nafiu Ayodele, was killed on his way back from a Sallah party while he was waiting for a commercial motorcycle to take him home.
The FSARS officer that allegedly killed the victim is identified simply as Lukmon.

Play

FSARS officer, identified as Lukmon, allegedly responsible for killing the young man
(Pulse)
According to a report by The Punch, Ayodele’s death triggered a mob made up of youths in Olupona, where the
police station in the town on fire.

Details later…

Unpaid Salary: Ekiti workers enforce strike , storm Secretariat with cudgels, – MainNews.Blog


Dissatisfied with the non-payment of over five months salaries Ekiti state workers yesterday stormed the State Secretariat in Ado-Ekiti and chased away their colleagues who resumed from the Sallah holiday.

The workers led by the former Chairmen of Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, Comrade Ayodeji Aluko and his counterpart in Trade Union Congress, TUC, Comrade Kolawole Olaiya, accused the government of deceit over its commitment to defray between six and ten months outstanding salaries being owed it workers.

The former labour leaders under the name “Ekiti Workers Rescue Team”, who began the protest at about 8.25am addressed the workers in front of the secretariat, where they ordered their members to leave their offices and begin an indefinite strike.

They said it was wrong for Governor Ayodele Fayose, who accused former Governor Kayode Fayemi of insensitivity for owing one month salary in 2014 to have betrayed the trust and confidence the workers reposed in him that earned him victory in 2014.

The Nigeria Union of Local Government Employees, NULGE, in a statement by its State President, Bunmi Ajimoko had earlier told his staff of their third tier across Ekiti to begin a strike yesterday, but was later called off due to undisclosed circumstances.

The workers also dissolved the state executives of the NLC and TUC, headed by Comrades Ade Adesanmi and Odunayo Adesoye respectively, alleging that they have become passive and shying away from carrying out their responsibilities as labour leaders.

The leaders had hardly ended their speeches when the workers stormed the offices and started chasing away their members with cudgels. They observed a minute silence in honour of their members who had died due to financial incapacitation engendered by epileptic salary payment.

In his address to the workers, Aluko said: “Today, we are dissolving the executives of NLC and TUC in Ekiti and they stand dissolved, because their leaders, Ade Adesanmi and Odunayo Adesoye have lost their values. They are no longer talking about the welfare of the workers they were expected to defend.

“We decided not to do this protest before election, so that they won’t read political meanings to it. Workers have died, just because they are not paid. In 2014, Governor Fayose said any governor who owed justa month salary because he is building infrastructure doesn’t worth being a governor.

“Today, the governor owes pensioners ten months, LG workers eight months and civil servants and teachers are owed six months. We are not fighting Governor Fayose but he must pay the workers.

“Shortly after the election, Fayose quickly paid six month salaries and furniture allowances of political office holders, then what becomes of our teeming workers?

“It was sad that Adesanmi and Adesoye decided to give Fayemi three months moratorium to pay workers when assumed office, when they were practically doing nothing to ensure that Governor Fayose doesn’t leave office a debtor governor as he promised.

“We hereby declare indefinite strike commencing from today and only the national secretariats of both TUC and NLC can negotiate on our behalf, because we no longer trust the State leaderships of the two congresses”, he said.

In another leaflet circulated by the workers under the aegis of Ekiti workers Rescue Team, they accused the labour leaders of getting a sum of N14 million as mobilization from Governor Fayose to enlist their backing for the July 14 governorship election.

Get your news alert on whatsapp: +2348153164013

Email: Mainnews.blog@Gmail.com

You can also share your story with us……

Ayefele Ends Dialogue With Ajimobi Over Demolition Of His Fresh FM (Photos)


The ace musician, Yinka Ayefele has just concluded a meeting with Governor Abiola Ajimobi over issue bothering on the demolition of his Music House by the Oyo state government last Sunday.

The partial demolished structure said to cost N800 million also hosts the radio station, Fresh F.M.

The state government said the demolition happened because it contravenes land planning law.

The meeting that was personally facilitated by Joseph Tegbe, gubernatorial aspirant of the state, held at the State House in Agodi, Ibadan.

‘”We just left a meeting with the Governor of Oyo State, Senator Abiola Ajimobi at the Governor’s office. The meeting was facilitated by a guber aspirant, Joseph Tegbe”, David Ajiboye , Corporate Affairs Manager of Fresh FM said in a social media post.

For now, it cannot be concluded if the meeting ended on a good note or not.

Also in the meeting were dignitaries like the Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi.

Get news alert on whatsapp 08153164013

Email: Mainnews.blog@gmail.com

You can also share your story with us……