ASUU STRIKE: Why ASUU Ongoing Strike Will Continue

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) says the ongoing strike by the union will continue until the federal government resolves all the issues in contention.

The union embarked on the strike earlier this month over the failure of government to fulfil the content of the Memorandum of Action it signed with the union in 2017.

Meanwhile, Asuu Chairman at the University of Ibadan, Dr Deji Omole, while addressing journalists shortly after a congress on Thursday, said Asuu members would not allow the ruling elite to destroy qualitative education.

He said the union had rejected Dr Wale Babalakin, who is the leader of Federal Government team, because “he is an interested party pursuing a private university license and will do everything to jeopardize public education funding.”

Omole insinuated that a situation whereby two members on the FG team were pursuing their private university licenses indicated they would not favour funding of public education.

He maintained that the strike was borne out of a genuine and patriotic commitment to ensure a better future for children of the masses and that of Nigeria.

Omole, therefore, dismissed the allegation being bandied by the government that the strike was political.

Receive Alerts on: Whatsapp: (WhatsApp Only), Follow us on Twitter: @Mainnews.blog

Facebook Fb/Mainnews.blog

Whatsapp: 08153164013

Advertisements

Police arrested 34 members of IPOB over killing of police inspector

The Police Command in Anambra has arrested 34 suspected members of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra ( IPOB) in connection with the killing of a police Inspector in Nnewi.

SP Haruna Mohammed , spokesman of the command made the disclosure in a statement on Saturday.

Haruna said that some personnel and a Divisional Police Officer ( DPO ) were also wounded while a police patrol van was set ablaze.

The spokesman said that anti-riot Police Mobile Force ( PMF ),Counter Terrorism Unit (CTU), Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad (FSARS), EOD and Special Anti-Cult Unit Personnel and conventional police have been deployed to Nnewi and environs.

Haruna said that on Nov. 23 at about 11: 55 am, there was intelligence report that members of IPOB were gathering near the Teaching Hospital, Owerri Road, Nnewi with intent to cause a breach of public peace.

He said following the report, the police patrol teams led by the Area Commander, Nnewi, ACP Nnanna Ama, mobilized to the scene to disperse and prevent them from causing a breakdown of law and order.

The spokesman explained that as soon as the team arrived, the IPOB members descended on them, set ablaze one patrol vehicle and attacked them with machetes and stones.

“They marched towards the Agbaedo Market shouting “No Elections without referendum.

“The injured personnel were rushed to the hospital for medical attention; where the Inspector was certified dead by a medical doctor while the DPO and the ASP are presently receiving treatment,”he said.

He said that the police joint team have commenced search operations for the recovery of two AK47 rifles and one Beretta Pistol with ammunition snatched from the slain Police Inspector and police officers.

Haruna said that efforts were on to arrest other fleeing members of the group and bring them to justice.

The police spokesman urged members of the public to go about their lawful businesses and reminded them that IPOB remains a proscribed organisation and its’ activities illegal. (NAN)

Nigerian Army clears the air on number of soldiers killed by Boko Haram recently -MainNews.Blog

The Nigerian Army has released a press statement as regards recent reports of an attack on a military base in Borno state by Boko Haram fighters, which led to the death of many soldiers.
In the statement entitled ‘PRESS RELEASE ON THE ATTACK ON 157 TASK FORCE BATTALION DEFENSIVE LOCATION AT METELE IN GUZAMALA LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF BORNO STATE’ cleared the air on some of the claims in some media reports.
See statement below

The attention of the Nigerian Army(NA) has been drawn to several social media, print, electronic and online publications about the recent attack on 157 Task Force Battalion at Metele. Whilst it is true that there was an attack on the location on 18 November 2018, it has however, become necessary to correct several misinformation being circulated with regards to this unfortunate event.

It is important for the public to note that the NA has laid down procedures for reporting incidents that involve its personnel who fall casualty in action. Out of respect for the families of our gallant troops, the NOKs are first notified before any form of public information so as to avoid exacerbating the grief family members would bear, were they to discover such from unofficial sources.

Furthermore, it suffices to observe that several social media, print and online publications have been brandishing false casualty figures as well as circulating various footages of old and inaccurate BHT propaganda videos and alluding same to be the attack on 157 Task Force Battalion. Whilst it is understandable how such misinformation can spread in this era of social media frenzy, the spurious circulation of some of these videos only contribute to further propagate the propaganda intent of the terrorists; to misinform the populace and portray themselves as what they are not. So far, the situation is that the location is under control as reinforcing units have been able to repel the terrorists and stabilize the situation.

The NA sincerely, wishes to thank the various arms of government, MDAs and sister security agencies that have stood with her in these trying times; by commiserating with the families of the fallen heroes who have paid the supreme price for the defence of our dearly beloved country. The necessary support being given the NA by the Federal Government and the goodwill of the Nigerian populace will undoubtedly continue to spur the NA towards the ultimate defeat of the highly degraded BHTs.

New wigs under the sponsorship of presidential Amnesty program complain of the unfair manner Charles Dokubo and his cohorts treating them

New wigs under the sponsorship of presidential Amnesty program

Press release by Aspirants to the Nigerian Bar; who were under the sponsorship of Niger Delta Presidential Amnesty program that brilliantly and successfully passed the 2017/2018 bar final exams and are grooming for the call to the Bar ceremony in the next 3 days, decrying for what their sponsor, Presidential Amnesty office appears insensitive to their needs which are very fundamental to each aspiring students to be executed before the day of call.

Such needs require financial wherewithal which a formal letter had been sent/presented, particularly addressed to the Boss, Prof Charles Dokubo for quite some weeks, but with look of things the letter suffers swift attention.These needs are clearly set out in the letter; here few of them would still be reproduced for perusal enabling the public to see the extent of necessity, hence the office to take responsibility. Below are as follows:

1. Call to processing fee
2. Wig and gown
3. Accommodation etc

The above needs are not invented by the affected persons’ imagination, rather a must preparations for the formal call that is within the knowledge of every lawyer. As prospective lawyers under scholarship, the foregoing should be provided, as they are not out of place.

The concerned students further said that, the rate at which the presidential Amnesty office handles delegates since 2015 till date is invariably worsening as no improve could be introduced/ made despite the change of signatories on account of corrupt practices or otherwise.

What we are therefore, unequivocally telling Prof Charles Dokubo and his cohorts is that, the presidential Amnesty program is ‘like’ a scholarship offering office designed for human capacity development through educational advancement of Niger Delta youths captured in the program, as such we want to have the peculiar impact of students on a scholarship. Let that flavour manifestly be seen on us, as the rate of incurring expenses is enormous on our side because of the persistent refusal to accept responsibility of most our needs by the handlers of the programme.

As we have been trained, we know our rights and privileges, what belongs to us and what ought to be and be done distinctly. Moreso, should Charles Dokubo and his cohorts really want to take the credit of our God-given feat which we attained despite we were not properly and adequately been taken care of by them throughout our stay in the Nigerian law school. But, to the glory of God, this is where we are, receiving street credibility due to our professional ‘Golan heights’ we don’t think, they deserve any praise. Only God deserves it.

Thanks.

JOKE!!! HOW TO STEAL A CHICKEN “MainNews.Blog

HOW TO STEAL A CHICKEN

1. Survey the area for about 1
week.

2. On the day of operation, wear
an oversized shirt.

3. Be at the place between 11am
to 2:30pm.
At this time of the day, the
owners will be gone to work or
indoors and the chicken will be
playing
outside happily.

4. Walk at the edge of the street
and let the chicken walk freely at
the centre, [its more easy in a village setting]

5. This is where you make the
grand move.

6. Dive like a goalkeeper and
grab the chicken by the head .
Quickly fold the head into the
feathers and put it inside your
oversized shirt under your
armpit like a Bible.

7. Move on as if nothing
happened. No looking back!
THANK-ME- LATER. December is around the corner ..

May God Bless PERE JAY WEST…